Model Aircraft Supplies Ltd.
It was regretful that the longest established model aircraft shop in the U.K. had to close in November 1994. due to circumstances of increasing rent and rates not being matched by profitability. The company was actually wound up 30th June 1997.
The company was incorporated in November 1931. Managing Director was Harry York, who upto that time was running a Radio Shop at 171 New Kent Road - London.
Harry York was a founder member of the Blackheath Model Flying Club and was supplying to members, materials such as silk, rubber, balsa wood and spruce. The last mentioned items were obtained through his friend and clubmate Eddie Keil
Henry (Harry) Garwood worked for Model Aircraft Supplies until Harry York’s death in 1957. When he was made manager . Finally taking over the Company as its Managing Director on 1st July 1959.
The company moved premises on 15th April 1960 to 29 Old Kent Road London SE1, where it successfully grew until 1986, The final move to 207 Camberwell Road London SE5 took place in January 1968. After 2-3 years trade improved greatly, but after 1990, trade declined. In the opinion of the management, to many ‘customers’ wanted the service and the expertise,without paying for it. Expecting discounts and service. Whereas the pricing structure of the Model Trade did not allow for this. Witness the demise of Many good Model Shops particularly in the London Area.
There are a few remaining items of stock left. These items are offered as is and are regarded as a private sale. If you have any interest connect to the link below.